Job Duties and Tasks for: "Editor"
1) Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
2) Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
3) Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
4) Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
5) Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
6) Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
7) Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
8) Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
9) Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
10) Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
11) Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
12) Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.