Becoming a freelancer in any field is a decision you should not take lightly. Prior to deciding to go into the freelancing business one should do some research, make a plan, and must have patient to execute that plan. Here are some tips and advice to help you figure out if freelancing is right for you.
- One Man/Women Show – Being a freelancer can be a very lonely profession. The best freelancers work well by themselves and understand time management. There are no other co-workers to bounce ideas around with. Having a network of other freelancers comes in handy to be able to help each other. People often think becoming a freelancer means you will have more time on your hands. For example, you cannot be a full time mom and a freelancer due to the amount of time it takes to build a freelance career.
- Accountability – Working for yourself means you must address every client, concerns, and problems. When you first start off there are no secretaries or company backing you up. Learning to take responsibility will help in the longevity of your business. There will not be a steady income every month, the goal is to do better than the previous month. Being easy to work with helps with this. Create standards and live up to them.
- Self–discipline – Time management is the most important skill that a freelancer can acquire. Must be able to juggle multiple clients and have the time to complete the jobs at hand. Over time as your business grows, you will become more efficient at this. Clients can be difficult to deal with, so you must leave your emotions at the door. You have to be realistic about how much work a freelancer has to do to be successful.
- Promotion – The freelance market is huge. To make a presence in the community it will take time and dedication. Promote yourself by making a website, business cards, and portfolio. This can advance your career by letting people know that you are serious about your business. Without proper promotion, obtaining jobs can be difficult. Starting off with a savings account is the only way to get your business on the right foot.
- Staying Current – In order to get the top paying jobs, a freelancer must stay up to date on their craft. For example, if you are a freelance graphic designer, you might want to take classes on Adobe Photoshop every once a year. Your career must change with the times. A freelancer must also understand the market that they want to get into. Obtaining research is something that will always be done. Finding a field that interests you in your career will make it easier to grow in. A graphic designer that has a niche for web designing well find joy in the long hours that it may take to do well in that field.
- Mentor – When trying to figure out if freelancing is the right option for you, reach out to successful freelancers for advice. They can help you decide if this is the right thing for you as well as how to get started. Having a mentor also gives you more connections in your network.
Do you have what it takes to be a freelancer? It is not easy but if done right can be fulfilling in doing something you love. Learn more about freelance work at FreelancingGig.com.